Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The End is Near

Well, as you can see Elizabeth is nearly finished. I just need to do one more motif and then it is "happy dance time". The motif that I have to do is the same as the one on the other side. I scrolled down my blog to find out when I started this sampler. Looks like I started it in the middle of June, so it has taken me around two and a half months to complete. Not bad.

I thought that I had better finish Beatrix Potter before I start on another sampler. I am around half way with it. I had better get back into the swing of stitching over one again. I don't mind doing that as I find the samplers are much finer and there's always the hanging room factor LOL.

I had a great time in book shops recently. I love classic novels and I found these ones that I have been after. I used to have The Three Musketeers by Alexander Dumas, but my eldest son loved his books. When he moved out before he got married they all went with him and I am trying to get my youngest son to read them. I also found one of Alexander Dumas's books that I didn't know about. It is called "The Last Cavalier" and is a lost book that was found in the National Library in Paris around 2005.

The other two books are by Elizabeth Gaskell. I have always loved "Wife's and Daughters" and have been looking out for North and South and Cranford for quite awhile. My local book shop which is a really good independent book shop had them on my weekend visit, so I bought them. Now I just have to find time to sit down and enjoy them. What with samplers, blogging and the dreaded housework, it will take me awhile to get through them all. Oh and I still have a lot of Charles Dickens books to read as well. What is a girl to do.

.
After a couple of lovely Spring days it has turned cold and it is also raining. We need the rain but I could do without the cold.

I hope that everyone has a lovely week and weekend. Next time I post Elizabeth should be finished.

8 comments:

Crazee4books said...

Hi Sandra,

I'm trying to type this with a
cat purring in my arms. We'll
see how this works out.

How exciting to see the finish
of "Elizabeth" in sight. I'll
be watching to see it.

Thanks for your kind words about
Gate with Lantern. I do agree
that it would look better with a
companion piece. Perhaps someday.

I'm afraid that my blogging time
is severely limited now because
my Mom is in hospital. They took
her in last Thursday, and have
been treating her for various
troubles, and of course running
tests. She's doing better now
but is still very weak and not
eating etc. It's going to be a
while before she can return to
her retirement residence.

So I may not be blogging or
posting an update on my blog for
awhile. Can you give me your
e mail again so I can keep in
touch that way when I have some
time? I wrote it down on a piece
of paper and filed it away some-
where. Argh!!

It's nice to see Beatrix Potter
again too. Love the thread
colour on that one so much.

Cheers.

Kathy A. said...

Wow, Elizabeth is very close to finished and it is looking lovely. I really like your Beatrix Potter piece and I love that red

Judy S. said...

You stitch over one, too? I am very impressed with your work! It usually takes me much longer to finish things than a couple of months....awesome work!

Lapplisor said...

Hi Sandra
I am pleased for you.
You terminated equal this great Sampler.
Your time was really short for it. Your " B.Potter " Embroidery pleases me expressed well. You took for it my favourite color.
I wish you the time to be able to read all your loved books.
Some your mentioned titles are well known me.

Straight ones you visited me on my blog :-)… thanks for your love warm words.
I wish also you a good remainder week.
♥☼♥ Barbara ♥☼♥

Lelia said...

WOOT! Fantastic job on the E. sampler. That would take me years -- wow. The red one is lovely, too -- excellent book choices. The Cranford one rings familiar to me, I may have read it at one time. I think I read more than I stitch : ) I'd like to read The Lace Reader or The Tenth Gift next

Dani - tkdchick said...

Sandra, I'm looking forward to your Happy Dance!

Deb said...

Hi, Sandra! Beatrix is looking very sweet! You'll be finished with her in no time at all. And, Elizabeth is just gorgeous! I love that type of sampler, as you know. Great work, stitching lady!
Hugs, Deb

Teri said...

Hi there! I just "found" your blog, and all I can say is "wow!" The Elizabeth sampler is beautiful. I'll be back to see more!